Infograin

Helping students with dietary restrictions make more informed meal decisions

Project overview

Team: Brianna Pritchett, Ishaani, Hue Watson, Agrim Chandra

Honors: Finalist, Convergence Innovation Competition

Challenge: Our goal was to build a cheap, flexible, and subtle solution for people with dietary restrictions, to simplify their experience at a restaurant.

Project video 

 
My roles

I was the go-to researcher, ensuring that research was being conducted well, particularly during needs analysis and evaluation. More specifically, I:

  • Conducted and wrote up competitive analysis

  • Conducted 2 open-ended interviews during needs-analysis and 2 feedback sessions during ideation

  • Reviewed and edited questions for each questionnaire, interview, and survey

  • Coded open-ended responses to online survey and final evaluation

  • Wrote 2 of the 4 project milestones, both of which received 100% from the TA

  • Created screen sketches during ideation  

  • Created screen mockups in Sketch during prototyping

  • Contributed to all group discussions and activities throughout project

Wants & Needs
 

The question that we started with was: how can we improve the grocery shopping experience for people with dietary restrictions? We were inspired by friends, particularly those who were new to their dietary restriction or new to America, who were having difficulty reading labels in the grocery store and finding what worked for them.  However, our initial findings led us to something interesting: after an initial discovery period, people often fall into a routine at the grocery store. What we thought was the main problem was actually secondary to another problem our interviewees brought up.

For me the issue is not so much in the grocery store, but when I’m eating out/away from home. Vending machines? Fast food? Most restaurants? (On campus food?) I have to be really careful with all of those.

At this point we generalized our research to include restaurants, in the interest of finding the biggest need. For the rest of the needs-gathering process, we generalized the question to: how can we help people with dietary restrictions make more informed meal decisions? To find this, we performed a few different research methods.

Observations

Observed people in the gluten-free section of a grocery store

Paper questionnaires

Sent out 7 paper questionnaires with open-ended questions about shopping habits.

Contextual inquiries

Performed contextual inquiries with 4 students - 3 while grocery shopping, 1 while at a restaurant

Interviews

Conducted 3 in-person semi-structured interviews on shopping habits

Competitive analysis

Analyzed existing shopping and restaurant apps for people with dietary restrictions

Online survey

Received 40 responses to Qualtrics survey on food choices

Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com, licensed by CC 3.0 BY

Analysis
 

With this data, we moved on to analysis, focusing on finding user wants and needs (not thinking of solutions quite yet). Here, we created an affinity diagram and conducted task analyses. From this, we formulated five usability criteria to keep in mind during design and evaluation. Finally, we decided to focus on the restaurant context.

Cost of system

Should be low-cost to not strain student resources

Simplicity of language

For those unfamiliar with food labels

Responsive-ness

To aid quick and unobtrusive information gathering

Simplicity

To match the simplicity of the task

Substitutivity

For different dietary restrictions (vegetarian, GF, vegan)

Based on our findings, we came up with 3 personas and matching user journeys. We made sure the personas captured the variation we saw in our users, particularly in the areas of sociability, technical skills, familiarity with their restriction, and English mastery. The user journeys were based on the pain points identified during the research phase.

Ideation
 

Equipped with this extensive knowledge of our users, we dove in to potential solutions. We first conducted a brainstorming session to characterize the space of possible ideas, pushing beyond the obvious solutions to get as creative as possible. Then we organized these ideas along axes of feasibility and creativity to narrow our options to 3, described below.

Our three favorite options after this process were a QR app, an AR app, and a kiosk. For each idea, we worked out the basic functionality as a group, then split up and independently sketched out mockups for the app (example sketch of mine shown to the right). Then we came together and picked the best elements of each sketch, converging on one "Frankenstein" mockup for each idea. We additionally created storyboards to show use cases for these ideas. These mockups and storyboards are shown below.